Monday, July 4, 2016
Dr. Joshua Landis joins Adam Camac and Daniel Laguros to discuss how the Ba’ath Party came to power in Syria, tensions between Israel and Syria, Syria’s occupation of Lebanon, and the historical background of today’s Syria.
About the Guest
Dr. Landis is the Director of the Center for Middle East Studies and Associate Professor at the University of Oklahoma. He writes Syria Comment, which is a daily newsletter that focuses on Syrian politics, and is a frequent analyst on television and radio programs.
Biographical information is from ou.edu.
Picture is from ou.edu.
1. Asad: The Struggle for the Middle East by Patrick Seale
2. The Struggle for Power in Syria: Politics and Society under Asad and the Ba’th Party by Nikolaos Van Dam
3. Syria’s Peasantry, the Descendants of Its Lesser Rural Notables, and Their Politics by Hanna Batatu
1. Syria Comment
Previous Appearance and Related Episodes
77. The Origins and Founding of Syria with Dr. Joshua Landis (Monday, June 13, 2016)
42. The Legacy of the Arab Spring with Patrick Cockburn (Monday, April 25, 2016)
2. Syrian Civil War with Daniel McAdams (Tuesday, March 1, 2016)